Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

The Nine-day Sweater

Yesterday I completely forgot that it was the Ides of March, though I really should have remembered given how clobbered I was by work. It's commencement season, and yesterday was the deadline for me to receive many lists of graduating students, which means I spent the first of what will be many days reviewing names until my eyes cross permanently.

All that has nothing to do with knitting except for the fact that I was so busy with it yesterday that I was hardly able to knit a stitch until the work day was done, and that meant that I didn't finish my handspun sweater. But I got really close -- so close that I can say with certainty that it'll be finished today!

The colors are actually fairly accurate here!


I have finished everything but the last five rows and bind-off of the left button band. I knew, intellectually, that a bulky-weight sweater would be pretty fast to knit, but I'm still astounded by how quickly this has come together. I started it last Saturday night, though I got maybe less than an hour of knitting of it in total that evening. I finished the yoke during my Sunday Zoom session the next morning. I'd finished the body by Thursday, I think, and both sleeves were done by the end of this past weekend. All I managed during the day yesterday (during my biweekly team meeting) was the collar, and then I worked on the button bands last night. So tonight's task will be the rest of the knitting, weaving in the last few ends, finding appropriate buttons, and (if I get really ambitious) blocking. A sweater in nine days -- definitely the fastest ever for me for an adult sweater!

I'm going to have to figure out what to cast on next, because I will need something mindless for meetings and whatnot. I finished up my most recent charity hat sometime last week, though it still hasn't been blocked. I used my usual recipe for an average adult-sized beanie, making it a bit more slouchy.


I used two dark semisolids along with a mostly darker blue variegated, and this photo makes it really obvious where I switched, but I think it's less apparent in person. I used up all of one of the three scrap balls and greatly diminished the other two, so it's a success for me. I've been thinking lately about making scrappy socks for charity, as I haven't knit any socks in a while and my fingers have been itching to work on some; I just have to figure out what a good average size is to make (any ideas, all?).

Okay, I should get back to my lists of names now, but I will post again tomorrow with what I hope is a finished sweater and a reading update!

7 comments:

  1. I hope your eyes have uncrossed and that you find some knitting time today! That sweater is looking amazing! I love the colors and the striping worked out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard for me to imagine commencement season beginning in March, but with so much checking to do, I'm sure it has to. Will this class be graduating virtually? I'm guessing they will be, yet another way our world has changed. But that is a great-looking sweater, and since this week is still seasonally chilly, I think you will be able to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome sweater! I'm so happy it came together so quickly and I can't wait to see what's next :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you got it done in nine days, I thought I was kicking butt on mine and it was started mid February. Well done by you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is some record for knitting an adult sweater. Your needles must be smoking. I like the color change in the hat. I think it looks great and regardless, it will be warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful sweater, Sarah! And so true about "bigger" yarn. It goes so quickly! (And I'll bet especially after the Boxy you knit for your daughter. . . )

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS on the sweater!! I saw pictures on ravelry, but nine days is SUPER fast! Is sewing on buttons okay with you or do you have to push yourself so you don't put it off? (I think it's terribly slow, so I can sometimes stall at this). Did you have many ends to weave in?

    ReplyDelete