Pages

Friday, March 19, 2021

Are We There Yet?

My friends, it has been a week. I am more than ready for this day to be over and for the weekend to start. Yesterday was another crazy day, if you hadn't already guessed that based upon the fact that I didn't manage to post yesterday. In addition to a heavy workload (which was expected), I also got called into a last-minute staff meeting where I learned that thanks to a reorganization of my office, seven of my coworkers have lost their jobs because their positions have been eliminated. Some of them may get hired back because new positions are being posted for which they might be eligible, but it was a shock all the same. We'd all known that the reorganization was coming and that there has been a general budget tightening due to the pandemic and associated economic crunch, but I don't think anyone expected this drastic an outcome, especially because a handful of people have recently left the office for other positions. Needless to say, I was not in a good mood yesterday.

But life goes on, and I am thankful that I still have my job and that while plans are being made to move people back to in-person work, I won't have to return until I'm vaccinated (that was also confirmed in yesterday's meeting). I decided to cast on a new project last night, and frankly this beautiful sunny gold yarn, after a day when it rained nonstop, was a real mood lifter.


The pattern is Folia Hat (Ravelry link) by Erica Heusser, and I'm using two colors of Fibernymph Dye Works Ridgetop Fingering, Lisa's custom-blended nonsuperwash Romney/Falkland blend. I won two half skeins from her recently, and while I'm usually not one to knit a pattern in the exact colors used in the sample, they just happened to match in this case. I haven't gotten too far just yet, but I plan on working on it more today and this weekend.

I am hoping for a really relaxing weekend. The weather is supposed to be good (right on time for the start of spring tomorrow!), and on Sunday I'll be helping out at the food drive my synagogue is doing to benefit a local shelter/food bank -- and on top of that, Rainbow is officially on spring break for two weeks when school ends tomorrow, so knowing that I won't have to wake her up on Monday morning means that we'll all be in a better mood!

I hope this weekend brings you calm, good weather, and some reasons to hope.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah - what a blow. I worry about job security now that so many companies and organizations have had a chance to figure out the remote working process. I hope that the first day of spring brings some peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ugh! I am so sorry for your co-workers and I hope that they find jobs quickly. Strangely, Steve's office is struggling to fill positions right now - they had some people retire and have a few more retiring in the next couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gasped when I read this. What a week! I hope you find solace in books and fiber this weekend - take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your co-workers, especially at this time when Covid has affected everyone's ability to work. I wish you a restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Sarah. That IS a week. . . Re-orgs are never easy or comfortable, but when colleagues lose their jobs BECAUSE of a re-org, it makesit all the more awful. I'm glad you've held on to your position, but my heart breaks for all those who are going through a most unwelcome change. Turning to lovely, colorful knitting in times of strife is such a comfort. Glad you could cast on such a lovely project! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear this news. This is tough for the people that have lost their jobs and everyone else remaining. I hope that many can get hired back, but much of higher ed. is in dire straits. I do hope your weekend is a calm one, with plenty of relaxing and knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry that you have had such a tough week. I hope your weekend is restful and happier. That gold yarn is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a week, indeed - I'm glad you're still there! (and I feel for everyone who isn't ... it's never a good time to lose your job, and I think now is that more than ever). I'm also glad you have good coping mechanisms ... what with knitting, and fiber, and family ... and I'm sending out all my very best wishes that all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. they did WHAT? Oh my God, that must have been horrible. And if it's seven people at once, that means a lot more work on the remaining people's shoulders, doesn't it? Oh no ... :(

    I'm glad that you got to keep your job and that you can still work safely from home, seriously. The hat is beautiful! Will you keep it for yourself or is it a gift for someone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh geeze, what a way for your week to wind down. So sorry to hear about your work woes (and thankful you still have your job). Re-orgs are never easy for anyone. Happy Spring Break to Rainbow!! Folia hat is very pretty - love the colors you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete