Pages

Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Unraveled, Week 9/2021

It's Wednesday already? It's already been a busy week and it feels like it's flying by. The days are getting noticeably longer, though, and there's a positive trend in the high temperatures in the forecast.

I'm joining up with Kat and the Unravelers as I do every Wednesday to talk about knitting and reading.

While Rainbow's Little Boxy is my top priority (and I'm actually hoping to finish it today), I have two other WIPs that you haven't seen in a while -- because I haven't worked on them in a while. First, there's my Breathe and Hope shawl (Ravelry link), which I started last May.


Honestly? I think I'm going to rip this out. I'm fairly certain I made a big error in that section right in the middle, and the top edge is really tight. I'm just not feeling the love for this pattern, either, and yarn (an MCN base from Fiber Optic) is just too lovely to let it sit around.

The other WIP I do intend to finish. It's my ADVENTuresome Wrap (Ravelry link) using my holiday minis from Fibernymph Dye Works. I don't think I've shared it since doing the first section in one of the minis -- here's a closeup:


That first section was rather slow going because I kept messing up and having to tink back, but now I think I know what I'm doing. It would be nice to be able to sit down and knock out a stripe a night, but that might be a bit ambitious. I think this will be an ongoing project that I can pick up on an off and will finish eventually.

Reading has been, for the most part, really good this past week. I've finished two books, both of which I rated 5 stars:

I know quite a few of you have already read Natalie Haynes's A Thousand Ships, but those of you who have not need to read it! This book tells the story of the aftermath of the Trojan War from the point of view of the women -- the wives, daughters, sisters, and goddesses. These are voices we're not used to hearing in the history or mythology of ancient Greece, and it's truly refreshing and illuminating to hear them now. There are parts that are heartbreaking, as you would expect, but also, surprisingly, parts that are funny. If, like me, you had to read The Odyssey at some point in your schooling, then you'll especially enjoy Penelope's letters to Odysseus. Rainbow is reading Greek myths in English class and learning about ancient Greece in history, so I've lent my copy (which I purchased from Blackwell's) to her teacher, knowing how much she'd enjoy it.

I knew that reading (or, in my case, listening to) A Promised Land was going to be a major commitment; the audio version is about 29 hours long! I figured, though, that listening was the way to go, and it proved to be the right decision. I listened at 1.25 speed, which helped, but having President Obama read his book to me was an immense pleasure, especially when he got into some of the nitty-gritty details of economic policy and other things I really have no interest in. The book was a reminder of what a thoughtful, caring, decent human being and leader he is, and it also made me sad to think about the backlash that followed his presidency. It's clear we still have a long way to go in our country, but it gives me hope that he still has hope for us.


I had one DNF this week: I tried to read Ebony and Ivy, but after making it into the second chapter and still finding myself hopelessly confused, I gave up. I might try it again some day, but I found it to be so poorly written that I didn't see it as a wise use of my time.

I'm currently reading something much more enjoyable. After listening to that interview with Barbara Kingsolver last week, I decided to borrow Unsheltered from the library. I know this is a book that a lot of people who normally like Kingsolver didn't like, but so far (two chapters in), I am enjoying it. At least it makes sense, which is something I can't say for the first book I tried to read this week!

Looking forward to hearing what you're working on and reading -- and if you have any suggestions for the yarn from the shawl I'm going to frog, let me know!


5 comments:

  1. I often rip out knitting that I either loose interest in or love the yarn so much but not the pattern. I hate wasting beautiful yarn! Good reads this week, I have A Thousand Ships on my list....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really moving along on the Little Boxy sleeves! I like having a long-term project in progress, and it will be nice to have your ADVENTuresome Wrap around to work on occasionally. I have A Thousand Ships on hold with only 96 people ahead of me, so it's good to know it will be worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think ripping out a project is a sign of a seasoned knitter. We have a pretty good sense of what we like in knitting. Some of my most successful shawls are the ones I knitted from reclaimed yarn. The wrap looks very pretty. What a great review of A Thousand Ships. I will put that on hold. I always enjoy reading a story from a different perspective. I rather enjoyed Unsheltered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yarn for the Breathe and Hope is so pretty and I think it plays well with that pattern... but if you're not feeling it, then it's time to rip!! And I can't wait to watch your wrap grow :)

    I haven't heard of A Thousand Ships - thanks for the recommendation! And nice work on the Obama book - so glad you enjoyed the audio version.

    I think I've said this to you before (sorry if I'm repeating), but I really enjoyed Unsheltered. It felt like a response to Trump's election and an honest exploration about how in the world it ever happened to start with. I listened to it on audio and paused and replayed several sections over and over so that I could write down a few quotes - which I NEVER do with audiobooks. And I was randomly choosing a ton of books about naturalist at that time, so this fell right into that category as well... I hope you enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard mixed reviews about Ebony + Ivy...and doesn't it feel liberating to decide your time has more value? I'm happy to finally be there. I think my tendency as an Upholder made that slightly challenging! (And since I track my reading in a book journal now instead of on Goodreads, I feel fine entering it. With a DNF, of course...)

    ReplyDelete