Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Cooking for Passover

Passover* starts this Saturday night. For the first time in my life, my mother is not going to be cooking for the holiday. She and my father will be driving home from Florida this weekend, which is great because we'll soon be able to see them again in person, but that leaves the cooking to me. Last year we did a virtual seder, and she and my father cooked and delivered care packages with everything we needed so that we could all gather over Zoom. But this year, we'll have a very small seder -- just the three of us and my brother and sister-in-law. The weather is supposed to be lovely on Saturday, so we'll be able to sit outside. And because there will be so few of us, I'm not planning a huge, elaborate menu. It's Thursday, so I'm linking up with Carole to share three Passover recipes.


1. Charoset
Charoset is a symbolic food that is put on the seder plate for the Passover dinner. It is meant to represent the mortar used by the enslaved Jews in Egypt, and though it represents suffering, it's quite delicious. You can find numerous recipes online, there really is no "official" way to make it, and a lot of it is done by taste. The ingredients are simple: apples (something crisp and flavorful, like Honeycrisp), walnuts, cinnamon, and wine. You chop the apples and walnuts (which I like to toast in a pan first) and then mix them together with the cinnamon and wine to taste. The wine that I usually use is Manischewitz Concord Grape, which is a bit like alcoholic cough syrup and, in my opinion, is only good for this use. You can easily substitute any red wine or even concord grape juice. I once made a batch of charoset with apple juice when I was pregnant, and that worked, too. It's pretty hard to go wrong on this!

2. Brisket
You might be familiar with brisket in the context of BBQ, but in my family, we've always cooked it the "traditional" way for Passover: slowly, for many hours, in liquid with onions, carrots, and celery. We get the brisket from the market trimmed of some of the fat, but not all (you want a bit left on to keep the meat moist). I season it a bit with salt and pepper and put it in a large pan, then cover it with broth and the sliced veggies. I cover the pan with foil and put it in the oven at about 325F for several hours, until it's just starting to get fork tender. At that point, I remove it from the oven and slice it, against the grain, into pieces about 1/2 an inch thick. I return the slices to the pan with the broth (adding more liquid if needed) and veggies and cook it for another hour or two. Cooking times can vary and depend on the amount of meat, so you want to make sure you have plenty of time for it to cook. I often make a brisket a day or two ahead of time and reheat it for a holiday meal to ensure it's had enough time in the oven -- it's cooked enough when you can break it apart with just a fork.

3. A Flourless Chocolate Dessert
There are many restrictions on what can be eaten during Passover, but the simple rule is that nothing is permitted that can rise or leaven. This means no flour or other wheat products unless they're kosher for Passover, which means matzah or made from matzah (like matzah meal, which is ground-up matzah). So any sort of cake or baked good that uses flour is out. My mother typically serves a flourless chocolate cake that she gets from Whole Foods, and Rainbow and I contemplated baking one, but in looking through other recipes online, I came across this one for flourless fudge cookies. We'll be trying these for the first time this year, so I can't vouch for how good they are, but they look good and pretty easy to me. A bonus is that these aren't really Passover cookies -- they're more of a gluten-free recipe that just happens to be kosher for Passover! I'll let you know how ours turn out.


* By the way, if you are not Jewish, you might not think you know anything about Passover other than it's the time for eating matzah. But if you've ever watched The Ten Commandments, which always seems to air on network TV around Easter, then you know the Passover story, even if you don't know the details of how it's observed.

11 comments:

  1. I've seen Charlton Heston part the Red Sea, but never associated that with the Passover story. Having just read up on it, I may reward myself and bake some flourless fudge cookies. All of your Passover recipes sound delicious. Chag Pesach samech and safe travels to your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your intimate seder this year...it sounds delicious and just the right size. (Anything with 'flourless' and 'fudge' sounds like a win to me!) It feels good to think that we're wrapping up our temporary ways of celebrating and that next year could, should resemble Familiar once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "which is a bit like alcoholic cough syrup and, in my opinion, is only good for this use" I died at this, lol. I'm alone for Passover this year, so I'm treating myself to hasselback baked sweet potato and roasted asparagus and parsnips for dinner. I am absolutely going to try this cookie recipe, too, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think how much you've grown as a cook and a baker this year! The discussion about Passover desserts on one of my Zoom calls this week centered around melted chocolate, caramel and matzah. No one had a recipe but I'm thinking it might be as simple as substituting matzah in something like this? https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/cracker-toffee-recipe
    (which is a huge family treat at Christmas in my house)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really great to follow along on your cooking adventures and that dessert sounds perfect for me since I can’t eat most flours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing this post! You've tackled so many big cooking projects this year and it's been so fun to follow along. I hope it all turns out delicious and you enjoy your time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be thinking of your parents driving safely back to Pittsburgh as you gather to celebrate Passover. I don't know if you wish someone a joyous Passover, but I wish you one full of love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing your Passover recipes and traditions. I remember when I was a teenager . . . and it suddenly dawned on me how Passover and Easter were linked. Such an AHA moment! I wish you a joyous Passover, Sarah. (And safe travels to your parents.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, now my mouth is watering! Everything sounds delicious Sarah! Wishing you all the best this Passover and safe travels to your parents...I bet you cannot wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great passover!! I hope the weather holds up - and thank you so much for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Passover recipes sound delicious. Those chocolate cookies - a chocolate lover's delight. I hope your celebration was lovely and that you were able to sit outdoors with family. I hope your parents have arrived home safe and sound by now.

    ReplyDelete