Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Unraveled, Week 11/2021

It's Wednesday (only Wednesday?!), so it's time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers to talk WIPs and books.

I did end up finishing my Ramona Cardigan yesterday, fitting in the last handful of rows while I proofed some easy lists in the morning and then weaving in the ends yesterday evening. Rainbow and I dug through my button collection but came up empty. Actually, that's not quite true -- I found one perfect button, but I need a total of seven. So I'll be looking online, and I'm holding off on blocking the sweater for now (typically I like to have the buttons sewn on when blocking to help a cardigan hold its shape). I promise a full FO post soon with all the juicy details.

I started two new projects yesterday. First, I dug out some self-patterning sock yarn scraps from the big bag 'o scraps and started a scrappy pair of socks for charity. I figure these can be my project while working or sitting in meetings because they require almost zero attention.


Then, last night, I started a new shawl with a big skein of handspun, intending it to be a new pattern sample, but I'm not sure it's working out in yarn the way it did in my head.


Those garter sections look like they're aligned across the three sections, but they're actually staggered. I think it's more obvious when the fabric is stretched, but I'm not sure it's the look I want. So I'm debating whether to continue going and see if it looks better as it gets larger or just frog it and use the yarn for an enormous Hitchhiker. Thoughts are appreciated!

On the reading front, I've finished two books in the last week.

First, I reread (I think) The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I vaguely remember reading it for the first time in high school, though I didn't remember any of the specifics, and listening to the episode on it on the Novel Pairings podcast made me want to revisit it. Unfortunately, I was less than impressed this time around. Even leaving aside the problematic language and racist overtones, I found it rather lacking. I know it's a novella and thus is meant to be on the short side, but it felt a bit to me like the outline of a novel rather than a fully written work. I don't think Chopin really went far enough in examining and explaining Edna's awakening. I gave it 2 stars.

After that disappointment, it was a real treat to read The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. The premise of the book is that the title character, seeking to avoid a life trapped in a loveless marriage and never seeing the world beyond her small French village, makes a deal with a dark spirit that enables her to live forever in exchange for her soul. What she doesn't realize when she makes this deal is that she will become, in essence, invisible to other people: The minute she leaves someone's sight, they forget she ever existed. Part of the book chronicles her backstory, but the main story line is when she has been living for almost 300 years and encounters a man who remembers her. Thus begins a beautiful and heartbreaking love story. This book asks us to think about how we live our lives and what we leave behind, and it's really beautifully and thoughtfully written. I gave it 5 stars.

On deck next: I started The Office of Historical Corrections yesterday and also got Against the Loveless World from my library holds yesterday -- when it rains, it pours! My reading time is limited right now, but I'm looking forward to getting through both of these.

I am also looking forward to hearing what you're working on and reading in the comments!


8 comments:

  1. I remember really liking The Awakening when I read it in college (Dark Ages), but haven't read it since. I find that a lot of books I really enjoyed when I was younger don't stand the test of time very well. . . I just finished The Office of Historical Corrections over the weekend. It's VERY good, and I'm going to bet you'll enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really never not knitting! I think you know what my vote for that great gradient might be; it would make the perfect Hitchhiker. Addie LaRue sounds very interesting, but if reading has taught me nothing else, it's that deal to live forever can be very problematic. I'm in a long hold list for this book and Historical Corrections. I'm working on a second sock and back to reading Sarah Moss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrappy projects are lots of fun. I can see the staggered garter stitch rounds in the pattern. I wonder if they will become more visible as the shawl grows in size. One of the bloggers, I think Kym, gave me some good advice when I was questioning the look of a shawl. She told me to knit a little bit further before deciding I didn't like it. By four or five more inches I decided I liked the look of it and finished it. The yarn is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jane - knit a bit further before you decide. It is hard to tell with shawls until you get a bit down the line. I started reading Against the Loveless World. It is a bit hard to read because of the content but has captured my attention. I read almost 100 pages just today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreeing with Juliann and Jane...I would knit a bit more before making a decision on the shawl. My reading right now is very lighthearted - actually laugh out loud - which is what I need, so your books seem like they would be a little heavy for me at the moment, but hoping you agree. I like your scrappy socks!! I need to get back to my Granny Squares as my sock remains are overflowing the rather large basket where I have placed them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay for scrappy socks - I was going to suggest the hat that Cara (@JanuaryOne) is obsessed with - and your scraps might be better for sock. And wasn't Addie LaRue the best! I loved how she made me think about memories, and stories. and of course I loved the current day NYC setting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like those scrappy socks (and I vote for an enormous hitchhiker!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY FOR SCRAP SOCKS!! Sometimes they are the best. will you knit them as the yarns catch your fancy or will you try to split the yarn in halves and make them close to identical? (The shawl is super pretty, is that handspun you made last year?)

    ReplyDelete