Pages

Monday, March 29, 2021

Balance in 2021: March

It's hard to believe it's already the last week (well, half-week, really) in March. Where has this month gone?

I know Monday isn't one of my typical blogging days, but as it's the final Monday of the month, it's time to look back at the month through the lens of my One Little Word for the year and to join the link-up that Carolyn hosts.

Balance has been extremely important this month when it comes to balancing work and not-work. This is always been the busiest time of the year at my job, but it's harder to get the mental separation when your "office" is the corner of your bedroom and when you are able to work past 5 because you don't need to run to pick your kid up from school.


During commencement time, this list is pretty much my life when I'm in work mode. I have more than two dozen lists to keep track of and edit and at least one person to deal with to get each list. There's a lot of information in each list and a somewhat complicated format to follow, and every year there are new people putting the list together who either don't understand the instructions or don't bother to read them. That means that I end up doing a lot of the work. And honestly I don't mind it that much (and in fact get a strange satisfaction from fixing all the errors), but it's certainly mentally exhausting work. That makes it all more important that I make a point to balance my time looking at lists of names and degrees with time specifically not doing that.

The way I've primarily chosen to find balance is by continuing to make time each day for my walk outside. I've now gotten it down to a specific route that's a bit more than 4 miles and takes me just a little more than an hour to cover, depending on how quickly I'm walking on any given day. The daily walk has been helping to keep a streak of 10K+ steps alive (I hit 54 days yesterday, but that's only counting since I replaced my Fitbit; I had 120+ days on the previous band that didn't carry over for some reason). But at this time of year, it's also been a delight to check the progress on the trees and flowers every day and see what has happened overnight. Color is popping up everywhere! And I love hearing the birds noisily going about their business in the mornings now. I even managed to catch a woodpecker on one of the utility poles in the neighborhood last weekend:


While this project is still stressful because there are so many moving parts and a firm deadline, I'm finding that I'm feeling a lot less stress physically and mentally this year because I am giving myself a break in the middle of the day, every day. I'm getting some exercise, which is always good for me, but I'm also giving my brain a respite from thinking about it and my eyes a break from looking at a screen. This is something I'll have to remember for this time of year in the future when I'm back in my office; I will need to make a point to get out for a walk around the neighborhood on my lunch break instead of shutting my door and sitting with my knitting.

As to my 21 in 2021 list, I've crossed a few more items off my list: I've knit a sweater out of handspun, knit a sweater for Rainbow, and read a book outside my comfort zone. I've got my eye on a few more for the next month, too!

9 comments:

  1. Work/not-work balance is something that many people talk about, but it's been harder than usual to maintain any kind of balance during this past year. Your solution sounds ideal to me, to specifically take a physical break and get outdooors for an hour of not-work. I've tried to encourage John to do the same thing, but he often puts off taking a walk until the end of the day when he is mentally exhausted and dragging. Congratulations on finding a solution that's really a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've hit on some 'pandemic ways' that really work for you. I will be curious to hear how you carry them over when things shift back... Perhaps this year has been long enough that those new ways are now Established Habits so will take less effort to maintain than I think! (At least the ones we have control over.) And good luck with this satisfying work stretch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the work/not-work balance when working from home. It is so easy to just let the work spill over into not-work time. But I love your mid-day break! What a lovely idea (and this time of year it is just glorious to get outside!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your step streak is awesome - I'm amazed! And I'm glad that you've found such a helpful way to get you through this stressful season. My first job out of undergrad was as an academic advisor at the university I attended, and I remember how stressful that was! Getting up, moving your body, soaking in the sunshine, and having a moment with nature feels like the perfect counter balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter was having a really hard time earlier this year finding that balance between work and not-work, all at home. She worked with a therapist to help her set up some boundaries for herself, and one of them includes a walk outside for "lunch' every day. It sounds very similar to what you've found as a workable solution! (And my daughter is feeling better now, too.) Balance is so precarious -- but feels so RIGHT when you find it! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it wonderful to see the world coming alive as you walk each day? Good for you for your streak. Walking and moving, mentally clearing your mind is a good way to find balance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - it is hard sometimes to find the balance when EVERYTHING is at home. Walking outside helps me too and I've learned to enjoy that and not worry about the "hours away from the office during the day" because I often check email, write reports, etc. at night. I find that I am loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think getting out of the office at mid-day saved my sanity the last few years I worked. When the weather was nice, I used to take my lunch out to the car and drive a block away just to get some fresh air. I think you juggle everything admirably and that takes balance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A mid-day walk sounds like the perfect way to break up your day and get you outside. I walked with Marc for the first time in a couple of weeks this morning; our usual route, through a nearby neighborhood looks completely different now ... trees with leaves, tulips!, and of course, a yellow layer of pollen on the street and driveways. Sometimes it's hard to notice the changes when I see the same view every day, but when it's been a few weeks, they're obvious.

    ReplyDelete